What is a Bowen treatment
As a therapy, Bowen is truly light-touch. It is not dependent on hard pressure and there is no awkward bending, twisting or re-positioning of the client during the treatment. It is a remedial, hands-on therapy that is applied using very gentle pressure. The practitioner uses thumbs and fingers on precise points of the body to perform Bowen’s unique sets of rolling-type moves which stimulate the muscles and soft tissue of the body.
What does a treatment feel like?
Bowen is different for everyone. You might feel any of the following:- pins and needles, tingling, warmth, cold, surging, withering and tightening. Your tummy might rumble and you might dribble. You might experience aching, spasms or sudden pain. Your body might want to unwind and might start twitching or moving of its own accord. This is all very normal and whilst it can be upsetting, it is only transient and shows that the body is making changes.
A key element of the principle guiding Bowen is that we work holistically and according to the well-established principle of naturopathic medicine: ‘That the body be treated as a whole, without referral to named disease’. Indeed, with Bowen we don’t diagnose and we are not treating just the named disease or condition, but we are treating the whole being.
There are some normal post treatment effects:-
Within 24 hours:-
- Immediately after the treatment, you may find that you are light headed. This will gradually pass and is very normal post treatment.
- You may find that you need to urinate much more than normal.
- You may also experience a deep feeling of relaxation, which usually lasts until bed time and almost always results in a very deep and relaxing sleep.
- Physically you might feel different – clients often report feeling ‘straighter’ or ‘stretched’
- You are likely to sleep very deeply the same night as the treatment
24 to 48 hours:-
- You might find parts of your body hurt much more than normal. This could range from a dull ache, to stabbing pain and could be as a direct result of the changes your body has made during the Bowen treatment. The subtle changes will cause a response from the body, and fortunately, in most cases, the response is a temporary flare up. Once this subsides, there is usually a sudden lifting of pain which is usually accompanied by increased flexibility, suppleness and mobility.